Thursday, February 21, 2008

Something of a strange twist

As I posted last week, I was unsure of covering an event about a man running for my congressional district (David Robinson) since I would later be voting for or against this man. We discussed this is class and I realized I could have been fair if I should have chosen to cover the event.

When I received my absentee ballot in the mail yesterday, I realized this same man (Robinson) is running against a member of my family, my father's first cousin (Russ Goodwin).

Even though the event has happened, if I had known about Goodwin running against Robinson, do you think it would have been ethical to cover the event involving Robinson?

Just because the man is related to me and I have seen him and spoken to him at many family reunions, does not mean I would automatically vote for him. But how would that be perceived by the public? I just thought it was an interesting twist.

1 comment:

fhinchey said...

I guess it would depend on how well you know your cousin. But if you didn't know him very well, I think you probably would be OK. But if you think the relative connection might be known by some of your friends, associates etc., I would have second thoughts about voting. I would use common sense and trust my core values. I hope this helps. But you were ethical in mentioning the connection.